Audio-Visual Education Center, 1948
Studies of training methods on soldiers during the war found that they learned and retained more by watching films, and after the cessation of hostilities the Bureau of Visual Education was expanded further. In 1948 a new unit, the Audio-Visual Education Center (AVEC) was created, also headed by Lemler, to manage the expanding film library and growing campus projection needs.
As new technologies were developed, relevant ones began appearing in classrooms. Public Address systems began to be installed in larger auditoriums so that professors could lecture using microphones, and portable equipment like slide projectors and record players became a common learning tool for art history and other courses needing to show detailed images to a large group.