Instructional Support Services, 2006-Present
During the 1990s personal computers began to revolutionize the classroom and were soon replacing traditional methods for everything from showing slides to playing movies. Initially targeting classes with the highest enrollment, the University installed massive video projectors in large lecture halls like the Natural Science Auditorium and Modern Languages Building Auditorium 3. While able to provide a crisp, bright image, this new technology also carried a high price tag, and necessitated the addition of new infrastructure in terms of ventilation and power. Another critical component was the expansion of Film Projection Service to provide more skilled technicians to support it.
In 2006 Michigan Media was again consolidated into a new unit called LSA Instructional Support Services (ISS), which would be headed by Dr. Monika Dressler, formerly Director of the Language Resource Center (LRC), which would also become an affiliate. Its divisions, which had largely been run as separate entities, would begin to merge operations and gradually take on more duties. ISS also added other services like Learning Consulting to assist faculty with the use of technology, while expanding the LRC’s video production capabilities. As computer-based teaching became standard across most academic disciplines, the ISS engineering unit was enlarged and began to move beyond the large lecture halls to upgrading hundreds of smaller classrooms with video projectors, sound systems, and podiums that incorporated computers and DVD players.
Today, Instructional Support Services provides AV design and support for more than 500 spaces on campus; provides recordings, projection, streaming, lecture capture and digitization for classrooms and events; and circulates over 1100 pieces of equipment to students, faculty and staff.